When we were younger, we loved eating this Swedish marzipan dessert called Punschrullar (arrack rolls) or dammsugare.
I’ve been wanting to buy the dessert lately, but it’s hard to get…😕
So I decided to take the challenge and make it myself 😊 If you like marzipan, cocoa and rum you will love this dessert!!!
- 75 g of unsalted butter, softened
- 40 g of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- 16 g cocoa powder
- 250 g crumbled sponge cake
- 45 ml swedish punsch or amber rum
- 350 g of marzipan
- 1 teaspoon of green food coloring (optional)
- 75 g dark or semi-sweet chocolate
1. In a bowl, combine butter, sugars and cocoa powder.
2. Add cake crumbs and punsch (or rum) and mix well.
3. Cover a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper and place half the mixture on it.
4. Shape the mixture by hand or use a pastry bag without a tip to make sausage-sized piece. Repeat this step for the other half of the mixture.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
💡 If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can use a ziploc bag and cut a corner to make an opening.
5. Put the marzipan in a bowl and add the food coloring in small amounts while mixing, until you get the desired color.
💡 This step is optional. Green is the most common color used for this dessert, but it is possible to use pink or to leave the marzipan white.
6. Sprinkle your work surface with powdered sugar and use a rolling pin to flatten the marzipan into a thin sheet.
Rotate the marzipan constantly to prevent it from sticking to the work surface.
7. Place the first roll of mixture on top of the marzipan and cover. Repeat the same step for the second roll.
💡 If the edges of the marzipan don’t stick together, you can moisten them with a little water.
8. Cut pieces of about 4 to 5 cm.
9. Melt the chocolate and dip the ends of each piece in it
10. Refrigerate until consumed.
💡 This dessert freezes very well !
I hope you will love this Swedish dessert as much as I do 😄😋 !