Getting ready to carve pumpkins 🔪🎃? Don’t throw away the harvested seeds!
In just a few steps, you can turn them into a delicious, healthy Halloween snack 😋!
- Freshly harvested pumpkin seeds 😊
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Seasoning to taste!
- Materials: metal spoon, saucepan, parchment paper and baking tray
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Once the opening is made on the top of the pumpkin, use a sturdy metal spoon to scrape the inside of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and fibrous strands.
3. Place the seeds in a bowl or colander and rinse to remove the fibrous strands.
4. Place pumpkin seeds in a saucepan of water (about 2 cups) and add 1 tablespoon of salt (adjust as needed depending on the amount of pumpkin seeds)
5. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5-10min (longer if you want saltier seeds)
6. Drain and dry the seeds with a cloth or paper towel.
7. Place parchment paper on a baking tray. Add pumpkin seeds and cover with a drizzle of olive oil.
8. Optional: you can add different seasonings to your pumpkin seeds! (Example: paprika, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder…)
9. Mix the seeds to coat them with oil and your seasoning, spread the seeds on the baking tray in a single layer.
10. Bake the seeds until golden brown (cooking time varies depending on the size of the seeds). Turn the seeds after about 10 minutes.
11. Once cooked, let the seeds cool before eating.
*Check regularly the cooking seeds, so that they are not too roasted.