When October 🍂 arrives one of the many activities I look forward to is pumpkin carving 🎃!
In my family we love this tradition! Every year we have a festive evening where everyone brings out their creative 👩🏽🎨 side in a spooky atmosphere👻!
DID YOU KNOW❓
The tradition of pumpkin carving originated in Ireland. The carving was not done on pumpkins, but rather on large turnips and potatoes! It was Irish immigrants who brought the tradition to America.
The goal was to have scary faces and place them in front of the house to scare away Stingy Jack* and other wandering evil spirits
We decorate, play Halloween music, prepare spooky and delicious food and bites !
Carved pumpkins are a great addition to our Halloween decorations!
Here’s how to host your pumpkin carving party:
Establish a date, time and place
You’re likely to find pieces of pumpkins everywhere, so if you’re worried about a little mess, consider doing it outside!
If you plan to do the activity outside, it is obviously better to do it during the day.
Regardless of the location you choose, make sure everyone has their own space or there will be elbow play 😂!
Have the necessary items
- Carving tools: invest in good ones! From experience, I can tell you that you will break more than one tool trying to break through the “shell” of your pumpkin!
- Pumpkins: you can choose different colors or sizes!
- Black Sharpie (non-permanent): to trace your design on the pumpkins before carving. To remove the sharpie marks on your pumpkin, soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Now all you have to do is rub it on your pumpkin.
- Towels or paper towels for spills or wiping hands. You can also offer gloves (plastic or reusable) to your guests.
- Template (optional) you can buy or print out template to follow if you don’t want to go freehand!
- Bowls for collecting pumpkin seeds and pieces. You can make great recipes with the pumpkin pieces and roast the pumpkin seeds!
- Decorative tablecloth with durable and washable material.
- Pumpkin LED lights (optional) they help illuminate and bring your pumpkins to life! It’s perfect for capturing 📸 the final moment with all the carved pumpkins 😊
Set the mood with some Halloween decorations 🕸🦇!
Food and drink
You can make a simple candy bar 🍭🍬or make some fun & scary bites!
Create a signature cocktail for the evening like my diabolicious sangria 🍷☠!
Music and/or horror film
For a “spooky” vibe, choose a Halloween music playlist 🎵 and/or play horror movies in the background 🎞📽 !
Remember to have fun first! 😊 If you and your guests are feeling competitive, you can vote for the most beautiful pumpkin and offer a prize to the winner 🏆!
HAPPY PUMPKIN CARVING ! 🎃