Here’s a dessert i love to serve and give as a gift to my hosts 😊! This chocolate salami (salame al cioccolato or salame de chocolate) is a dessert made with cocoa, butter, eggs, cookies and alcohol (porto or rum).
The fun thing about this dessert is that you can make the traditional recipe or make it your own by adding your choice of nuts, dried fruit and cookies!
- 250g Lotus brand cookie (or other dry cookie)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g of dark chocolate 70 %
- 2 eggs
- 100g of cane sugar
- Rum to taste (optional)
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios (or other nuts or dried fruits) (optional)
- Powdered sugar (for decoration)
1. Crumble the cookies coarsely. Set aside.
💡 You should be able to see the cookie pieces inside the salami.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler : place a small saucepan with the chocolate over a large saucepan of water. Heat over low heat without boiling the water. When the chocolate starts to melt, stir regularly. When ready, set aside.
3. Mix the butter, sugar and eggs to obtain a homogeneous cream.
4. Add the melted chocolate and rum (optional) and mix until smooth.
5. Combine the crumbled cookies with the chocolate mixture.
6. Depending on the size you want for your salami, pour the necessary amount of chocolate mixture onto kitchen parchment paper to form a line. Roll the paper around the chocolate mixture, pressing firmly. Turn each end of the paper.
💡 To make sure the ends don’t unroll, you can tie them with a ribbon or elastic.
7. Place the salami in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
8. Once the salami has hardened, remove from refrigerator. Remove the parchment paper and sprinkle or roll in powdered sugar.
To serve it, slice it like a real salami!
💡 If you are giving it as a gift, you can make a nice wrapping using thematic paper, nice string or ribbon.
💡 The mixture is malleable before being refrigerated. It is possible to give it different shapes 😊
Here is an egg-shaped version for Easter! I poured the mixture inside a mold and put it in the refrigerator.
Be careful ❗ to prevent the mixture from sticking to the mold, put a light layer of powdered sugar on the sides before pouring in the mixture.
Enjoy you chocolate salami !😄